S.U.R.F. Shoreline Users Resource Force

Shoreline Users Resource Force
S.U.R.F. volunteers will be stationed on Navarre Beach to provide information on beach and water safety, coastal habitats, wildlife, clean-up response, beach condidtions, coastal habitats, seafood safety and the county Leave No Trace Ordinace to visitors.

Volunteers will work hours of their own design on the beach, answering questions from visitors to the beach. Volunteers can choose to be at any county access point, including the park and near the Navarre Beach Pier.

*Train Volunteers to provide accurate, fact based information to visitors to Navarre Beach
*Promote a consistent message of the current conditions of the beach
*Promote beach and water safety
*Provide knowledge of coastal systems, habitats, and wildlife
*Provide a positive message of what makes Navarre Beach special


WE NEED VOLUNTEERS!!! To sign up for education/training class, please call The Santa Rosa Help Thy Neighbor Volunteer Center at 850-983-5223. For more information Email surfnavarrebeach@gmail.com or Chrismv@ufl.edu or call (850)777-7884 to find out how to sign up and support our beach!

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Amphibian Thursday - because while Friday rhymed, I couldn't wait !

Just for giggles, and to show we aren't JUST about the beach.  We have other critters here too.

Have you ever had one of those nocturnal critters of Florida just about drive you insane while you try to count sheep?  I have.  Whether it's the bear cub trying to get into the trashcan, the 82 billion frogs of 7 million species that live around my house, the armadillos, the cotton rats, the chuck-o-widow bird that only does his version of a scratched record,the shrieking of a 10 year old when they find a scorpion,  the mating call of the geckos, or the catbird nest next door, I'm always amazed at what I find when I go to investigate what is making the noise.  (Read: make it STOP making noise.)

Last night, or rather this morning, while trying to drift off at 1 am I was being kept from the city limits of slumberland by what sounded like a 42 pound frog sitting in the middle of my kitchen table.  OK, maybe not 42 pounds, maybe 80. Sometimes a frog does manage to get into the house.  I haven't figured out HOW yet, but they do.  I usually find the dried up little bodies in the middle of the floor the next morning.  Anyway, I'm wandering the house on the prowl for the sweet little amphibian.  Surprise, he's not on the kitchen table.  Certainly I would have noticed 200 pound frog on the kitchen table.  No, now he sounds like he's in the living room, and getting bigger as I play "hot and cold" with something that has a brain the size of a proton.  Nope, he's not nestled on top of the TV or kicked back with a cold one on the lazy chair.  About to give up, I walk past the door to the Florida room.  What a great creation the Florida room.  A glassed off extension to the house meant to keep in the AC, but keep out the wilds, except the spiders, snakes, scorpions, and frogs.  Anyway, I open the door and am greeted with the deafening thrum, nay shrill trill of a frog.  I flick on the light, because I want to be able to dodge the sofa sized tongue that is sure to fly from the mouth of this school bus sized frog and grab me for it's late night snack. Flick.  Nothing. 

Now it's personal.  I MUST find this noise.  Maybe it's an alien space ship landing in the back 40, and it has it's cloaking device on.  So I unlock and slide open a door, wary of an impeding alien abduction. 

The noise stops.

Huh.

Dead quiet for 5 minutes.

So I lock up and trudge down the hall. ::::::TRRIILLLLLLLL::::::

UGH.

I go back to the Florida room, flick on the light, and open the window.  Dead quiet.  OK, seriously?

I get the super maglight out.  You know the one cops used to carry before they invented LED lights.  It's about 2 feet long, weighs 3 pounds, and makes moths burst into flame as they pass the beam? I can't find  a darn thing.  As I'm turning off the light, and shutting the window, there it is.  I just happened to be looking in the right direction.


Really ???? Apparently when it comes to a girly frog, size DOESN"T matter, but a good voice does ! LOL !
1X4 lego for comparison
Please excuse my messy window sills, I'm waiting for it to cool off to pressure wash.
The beach is clean, except for JuneGrass, still.  But we're rockin' and rolling this morning with storms (as if you hadn't noticed), so none of you should be out there.   :)

How about that crack of thunder at 6:30??  Mercy! Thunder is an all day possibility as are waterspouts.  Take care.

Have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment